Mission Statement

Hate Christians? You'll love me.

"If I have to boast, I will boast of what pertains to my weakness."

Friday, April 26, 2013

I Love TV

Okay, so maybe my biggest sin is not just slothfulness. Maybe I am becoming my biggest sin by making my life all about my level of comfort.

Dealing with depression it is easy to focus everything on a certain level of comfort. But no matter how bad I feel Jesus has called us to go, take up our cross, and follow Him. Taking up a cross may be a not so vivid illustration in our times, but one thing is for sure - it doesn't sound like it is meant to make my life as comfortable as possible.

Which is what I am all about. I take naps. I watch TV. I have Netflix. If those things fail me, I have TV on DVD as a last resort. I am never without entertainment. My phone has games which I use to entertain myself whenever I am in a line (or just bored.)

But never in my down time do I think, gee, why don't I read that nice book I bought to learn more about the life of David? Or why don't I memorize some Scripture? (There's an app for that.) Or why don't I read the Bible on my nifty phone app when I am in line instead of cooking things in a fake diner?

I once heard from my pastor that given the choice we would probably never choose to pray, but we are to do it because doing it is obedient to God.

Life with God is not about the comforts He provides, it is about Him providing everything we need.

No comments:

Post a Comment