Mission Statement

Hate Christians? You'll love me.

"If I have to boast, I will boast of what pertains to my weakness."

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Faith and Scarlett O'Hara

So looking ahead at a new year there is so much to hope. But with all the resolutions that people are making are we in danger of losing our faith?

One of my favorite books ever is "Gone With the Wind." And unlike many, I love Scarlett O'Hara. The way she rises above the stereotypical woman of the day and sustains herself impresses me. She just gets it done. She does what it takes to get what she wants. Whether you agree with what she does to get what she wants is debatable.

But the truth is that as a Christian this should not be the approach we take with things. Christian Mingle commercials say that you shouldn't wait for God to bring you a mate. God wants you to act now and He wants you to sign up for their service! But in truth isn't waiting on Him just what God wants?

When I push ahead to get what I want, a lot of times I end up with a big mess on my hands. Either that or what I find on the end is just the opposite of what I wanted. It takes more strength to let God do His will than it does to jump ahead in my story.

Fireflight's song "Unbreakable" refers to faith as "moving without knowing." We can remain faithful in what we have now without knowing what lies ahead. And that is hard. I do not know what is ahead for me, I just know that I am not afraid to trust myself in God's hands.

I John 3:2 talks about how we do not know yet what we will be. And as we grope forward in 2013 we don't know what we will be, but if we move forward in genuine faith we will come out better at the end than we arrived at in the beginning. Here's a toast to a beautiful new year for you and me both!

No comments:

Post a Comment